Martha SparksSociety Editor
July 11, 2012
A former city of Logan police officer with decades of experience, and a tenure as former Logan Police Chief, will be returning to duty soon according to Logan Police Chief E.K. Harper.
Harper told Mayor Serafino Nolletti and the City of Logan Council that following the resignation of Jacob Miller from the Logan Police Department, that former police officer and chief Robert Adkins had asked about being reinstated to the force. Adkins had left the Logan PD on good terms some time back to take a better paying position in the mining industry and at the time was assigned to the Logan High School area to interact with students, staff and probation officers.
Harper said Miller was leaving the city police department to take a position with the Logan County Sheriff’s Department.
“Robert has asked to come back and I recommend we hire him to take Jacob’s place,” Chief Harper said Tuesday night during the July 10 Council Meeting.
Councilmembers approved the motion. Nolletti praised the city’s police department, fire department and street department for going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the 2012 West Virginia Freedom Festival went off well, despite incredible heat and a major storm that left many residents of the state without power.
Harper said the festival had a lot of people present yet his department only had problems with two individuals, one an alleged drunk and the other who got involved in a fight.
Councilmembers said they were pleased at the festival. City Code Enforcement Officer Ray Perry praised Steve Trent’s sound engineering service for an excellent job and noted that many people were happy when it was declared that the Logan Shrine Club had received top honors for Best Booth. Councilmembers noted the Pro-Wrestling event
was very well attended and extremely popular.
“If only we could have gotten Turtle Man to come,” Fire Chief Scotty Beckett quipped.
Perry discussed the removal of some dilapidated structures in Logan with members of the town council during the July 10 meeting on Tuesday.
Perry said one dilapidated building should be removed soon, courtesy of the owner. The structure is currently located on Draper Avenue.
“There is another one in Central City that is scheduled to be removed soon,” said Perry. “They have all ready hired a contractor and are getting it removed at a fairly reasonable price.”
Councilman Basil Ken Lee said he and Nolletti had talked with the contractor about the possibility of removing other dilapidated structures around the town.
Perry has also been in touch with Richard Ojeda of the LEAD organization about still another structure that needs removal on the corner of Charles Street. Some of the structures in question have already been partially burned down, Perry noted.
When asked what the delay was, Harper noted that before a structure can be removed an approved dump site has to be located.
Perry said another delay has been locating property owners for some of the structures. He gave an example of one structure that local attorney George Partian had done a deed search on. Initially seven heirs were identified, however upon trying to contact them it
was found that two were deceased and their children were now heirs.
“Needless to say, we have not gotten very far on that one,” said Perry.
Perry said that several of the structures that had been discussed were in such bad shape they could not be repaired in any way that was economically feasible.
Several councilmembers and city employees expressed dismay at how slowly the FEMA organization has been moving in the wake of a major disaster that caused four slippages in the city. Nolletti said bids had been advertised for in local newspapers and the city had
received several, and had decided upon Dad Engineering to work on the four embankment failures. The Mayor said representatives from Dad and FEMA would be in Logan on Thursday at 11 a.m. He said nailing FEMA down about when payments will be made has been another more slippery matter entirely.
“I have never seen FEMA behave this slowly,” noted Fire Chief Scotty Beckett. Some people at the meeting expressed a belief that the delays may have been due to political paybacks from the Obama administration, which has been extremely unpopular in coal country.
On the other hand, the town is moving along quickly on revising its access to the Hatfield-McCoy Trails. A second and final reading was approved opening up all of Main Street and Stratton Street to trailriders and Nolletti and Harper said that Hatfield-McCoy’s Deputy Director John Fekete had some more good news.
“I talked with Johnny and he has walked and mapped the proposed revised access to the trails,” Nolletti said. “He has also spoken with the property owner and he said he feels things will go along quickly and smoothly.”
Harper said Fekete had confirmed that Hatfield-McCoy has more big plans in the works — specifically to make an access to the trails from the FountainPlace Plaza where one major hotel and several restaurants are located.
“He told me they have the funding in place for that, they just have to get the mapping done,” Harper said.