Debbie RolenStaff Writer
January 11, 2013
LOGAN – A Christian, non-profit organization will be coming to provide assistance to about fifty Logan County households in early June this year.
Appalachia Service Project (ASP) has been coming to Logan County for more than ten years to perform emergency repairs for residents in need.
The work is all performed by volunteers who sleep on the floor at schools. Not only do these volunteers perform the repairs at no cost, the fees they pay to participate in the program accounts for about 80 percent of the organization’s funding, with donations making up the other 20 percent.
Last year, ASP had three locations in Logan County: Man, Chapmanville and Logan. ASP responded to the need brought about by the flooding last year and brought 1,490 volunteers. This year, the number will drop to about 1,000, who will be housed at two Logan County Schools.
The project is tentatively scheduled to begin the first week of June and will run for seven weeks. ASP will only have two locations in Logan County this year, but will be providing assistance countywide.
Volunteers perform emergency repairs and not everyday maintenance. Examples of emergency repairs include a roof that is falling in, a floor that is falling down, a porch that is unsafe to walk on and entrance/exit access to the home needing repair for safety reasons.
Craig Griffie is the Assistant Director of Ministries with ASP. He estimates that the total dollar value of the projects they complete in Logan County each year would probably total about half a million dollars.
Griffie says they are currently taking applications and would like to have them by February 1. Applications will be accepted through June. Submitting an application does not guarantee the work will be done. Those in the most need will have work completed first and the program is limited to about 50 homes.
There a several ways to apply. Family Resource Coordinator (FRN) Christopher Trent has applications available at the FRN office. Those will access to the internet may apply online at www.ASPhome.org/apply, the application can be downloaded, completed and mailed to Appalachia Service Project, 4523 Bristol Highway, Johnson City, TN 37601 or the PRIDE office at 699 Stratton Street in Logan has applications and contact information.
Appalachia Service Project is based in Johnson City, Tenn. There is also an office in an old school building at Brenton in Wyoming County, which doubles as housing for volunteers during the summer. Separate projects will be taking place in Mingo and Wyoming counties during the same time period. Applications from residents in those counties are also being accepted.