The Logan County worked its way through a busy agenda at their regular meeting.
The agenda and commission actions included the following:
- Matters relating to the estates of Bernie Queen, Ora Hagood and Mildred and Charles Adair were taken under advisement.
- Don Porter again came before the commission in reference to an alleyway Audrey Hinkle had asked the commission to close. Mr. Porter came to tell the commission Ms. Hinkle had fenced in the property despite the commission’s denial of her request. The commission agreed to forward a letter to Ms. Hinkle reminding her of their denial.
- The commission approved a community grant in the amount of $7,955 for a project to lay a line to keep water away from the community of McConnell, which will benefit 15-20 people.
- The W.Va. Division of Culture and History will host the annual Aunt Jennie Music Festival, at Chief Logan State Park’s Liz Spurlock Amphitheater over Labor Day Weekend, August 31 - September 1. The commission approved a $10,000 donation to support the function.
- The commission approved a $500 donation for the Corridor G Regional Development Authority and the Economic Development Council’s Annual Fall Conference. This event includes Logan, Boone, Lincoln, Mingo, McDowell and Wyoming counties.
- A $10,000 donation to support the 2013 Chief Logan Hunting and Fishing Expo was approved. This year’s expo will be held Saturday, August 24, 2013, and Sunday, August 25, 2013, at the Chief Logan Conference Center in Logan, West Virginia. Events this year will feature Ron and Amy Shirley of Lizard Lick Towing Company and Bird Dog Demonstrations with Bob Fala, along with many other presenters and vendors.
- The commission approved a $500 donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- The commission once again donated $25,000 to the Southern W.Va. Community and Technical College — 2020 Major Gifts Campaign.
- The hiring of Michael A. Mayes as Chief Deputy was approved.
- Approving the Governor’s Community Participation Grant Program Contract and Resolution - Buffalo Creek Watershed Association — $5,000
- Approving the W.Va. Affordable Housing Trust Fund
- Approving $11,000 for the Logan County Public Service District to cover administrative costs a grant didn’t cover.
- W.Va. Department of Health and Human Resources - grant agreement for the Family Resource Network
- Acceptance and approval of routine reports from the fire departments and 911 EOC as well as routine orders, bills and invoices
The next meeting will be Monday, August 26, 2013, at 3 p.m.