Marisa Anders Editor
October 17, 2013
The Tazewell-New Tazewell Volunteer Fire Department (TNT VFD) reported to the scene of a house fire in Sunday’s early morning hours, according fire chief Bill Davidson.
The TNT VFD was dispatched at 12:20 a.m. Sunday to 229 Todd Circle in Tazewell, where a house belonging to Shawn and Catherine Surber was reported to be on fire.
The fire was initially discovered by Officer Mike Satkowski with the Tazewell Police Department who was on patrol, saw smoke and reported it, said Davidson.
When emergency personnel arrived at the scene the house was fully engulfed in flames, he said. The volunteers then began to look for occupants in the home.
“We initially thought there were six people inside, an adult and five children,” said Davidson.
The firefighters searched for over an hour before it was confirmed no one was in the house, and once the roof began to collapse Davidson called everyone out of the structure.
No one was injured, but the family pet, a dog, died as a result of the fire, he said. There was also minimal damage to a neighboring house.
“Our new ladder truck with its 75-foot ladder was very instrumental in fighting the damage,” Davidson said. “It kept the fire from spreading to nearby homes.”
The residence was a total loss, he added.
In addition to the TNT VFD, the Springdale Volunteer Fire Department, North Tazewell Volunteer Fire Department, Claiborne County Sheriff’s Department and Claiborne County EMS responded to the scene.
Reach Marisa Anders at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-626-3222.