Man charged in Whitman church theft

Martha Sparks msparks@civitasmedia.com

October 31, 2013

The West Virginia State Police has charged a Yolyn resident for breaking into the 20 Whitman Community Church and stealing several items of value on Aug. 30.

According to the criminal complaint, officers responded to a breaking and entering at the church where they noticed the back door, as well as another door to a building, had been pried open.

The church noted several items missing which total approximately $7,000.

A witness allegedly advised the officers that Jeremy Scott Gibson, 21, admitted to them that he (Gibson) and another individual had broken into the church. Another witness advised officers that Gibson told them that he had a Cannon Camera, Sennheiser Microphone and a guitar, all which reportedly matched the items taken from the church.

Gibson was charged with breaking and entering, grand larceny and conspiracy to commit a felony. His bail was set at $100,000.

• Jonathan Dakota Thompson, 21, of Harts has been charged with stealing a hunting bow, valued at $1,200, from a pickup truck at Garretts Fork on Oct. 9. The bow, a Hoyt Maxxis, was located at a Perry Pawn Shop in Chapmanville. A receipt on the item was given to officers by the shop that bore the name of Thompson. He was charged with grand larceny and entering without breaking auto. His bail was set at $5,000.

• Michelle Lea Crabtree, 35, and Curtis Jessie Hatfield, 33, both of Delbarton, were taken into custody by Delbarton Police Chief D. Nunley and Patrolman J.T. McCown and charged with nighttime burglary, grand larceny and two counts of transferring stolen goods.

Chief Nunley documented in the complaint that Crabtree and Hatfield entered the home of Dennie Kirk during the night, and proceeded to steal a guitar, 40 case knives, two Rolex watches, one Compac brand laptop and jewelry valued at $4,600. The defendant did sell the items to Big Eagle Gun and Pawn in Chapmanville and Uncle Bill’s Pawn Shop (Williamson Gun and Archery) in Williamson.

The defendants were arraigned by Mingo County Magistrate Pam Newsome and released from custody after posting a $5,000 bond.


Criminal complaints are public information. Charges listed in an indictment are merely accusations; defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty.


A report by Rachel Baldwin of Williamson Daily News contributed to the article.