Logan man charged with elder abuse
Martha Sparks firstname.lastname@example.org
A Logan man has been charged with striking and kicking his grandfather in a physical altercation.
Brandon Larue Cox, 32, was booked on December 4 by the Logan Police Department and charged with elder abuse and domestic battery.
According to the complaint, officers responded to a physical altercation and found Carl Burgess who stated that Cox, his grandson, did strike him in the facial region and kick him during the altercation. Burgess said he received the injuries while breaking up a physical altercation between Cox and his girlfriend. Officers allegedly observed a shoe print bruise on the right side of Burgess’ forehead and a one-inch laceration on his right hand.
Bail for Cox was set at $10,000.
• Robert Russell, 39, of Whitman, was booked November 29 by the Logan County Sheriff’s Department on domestic assault and domestic battery charges. On December 2, Logan County Assistant Prosecutor R. Todd Goudy added an additional charge of kidnapping.
According to the criminal complaint, officers responded to a 911 hang up call located at Bradshaw Hollow at Whitman. Dispatchers at 911 stated that they could hear a woman screaming for help before the line was cut off. When officers arrived at the residence, they allegedly could hear a woman screaming for help and forced their entry into the residence. The found the female victim lying in the floor with a bloody face.
The victim stated that she was getting ready to leave the residence when Russell stood in front of her and stated something about “her killing is family.” She told officers that Russell punched her in the head and she fell over a table onto the floor where he continued to strike her in the face with both hands. She said Russell left the room and she crawled to the phone and called 911 for help. When Russell returned and discovered her calling for help, he took the phone from her and began beating her again.
Officers observed a large amount of blood on the victim’s face and significant swelling on the right side of her face.
Magistrate Court cannot set bail on kidnapping charges. The case has been sent to the Circuit Court.
In other Magistrate Court news:
• Joshua Wayne Boggess, 29, was booked on Nov. 27 by the West Virginia State Police for receiving stolen property. His bail was set at $5,000.
• Jacob Eugene Shadd, 21, was booked on Dec. 4 by the WVSP for domestic assault and domestic battery. His bail was set at $2,500.
• Daniel Jerrell Blevins, 38, was booked on Dec. 4 by the LCSD for possession with intent to deliver. His bail was set at $7,500.
• James Gregory Farley, 45, was booked on Dec. 7 by the Chapmanville Police Dept. for possession of a controlled substance. His bail was set at $3,000.
• Gene Edward Daugherty, 42, was booked on Dec. 7 by the Chapmanville Police Dept. for possession of a controlled substance. His bail was set at $3,000.
• Jesse James Woody, 32, was booked on Dec. 7 by the WVSP for petit larceny and conspiracy. His bail was set at $3,000.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices