The Logan County Board of Education will meet for a Regular Session Thurs., June 26 at 6 p.m. at the Ralph R. Willis Career Technical Center. Many important issues will be discussed during the meeting.
The Logan County Schools 10 Year Comprehensive Educational Facilities Plan must be amended and submitted to the WV Department of Education and the School Building Authority for the purpose of constructing a new Elementary School in Chapmanville.
Plans to proceed with a Major Improvement Project (MIP) must be submitted to the School Building Authority for the Purpose of Adding Classrooms, Storage Areas and Gymnasium at Holden Elementary School.
The Board seeks approval to add Barbara Brazeau to staff to provide assistance to the Personnel Department for $60 per hour, as needed.
The board is also seeking approval to:
• Sale a Section of Property to Jamie and Candis Ellis for the Auction Price of $250.00
• Proceed with the Auction and Sale of Man Junior High School Property
• Contract with Atlantic Plant Services for Demolition of Logan Junior High School $265,049.00
• Contract with Atlantic Plant Services for Demolition of Whitman Elementary School $191,000.00
Several policies will be read, many for the final time, and passed:
• Third and Final Reading of Embedded Credit Policy for Logan County Schools
• Third and Final Reading of Dual Credit Policy for Logan County Schools
• Third and Final Reading of Logan County Schools Parental Involvement Policy for 2014 – 2015
• First Reading of Changes to Evaluation of Central Office Personnel (1530)
A policy must be read three times before it can be passed.
Approval of many budget motions will be sought, including:
• Purchase of School Buses: $485,195
• Contract with Educational Impact: $18,750.00
• Three Year Contract with Renaissance Learning: $172,373.65
• Three Year Contract with Achieve 3000: $268,155.00
• Globaloria Contract 2014 – 2015: $30,000.00
• Purchase Elementary Lesson Plan Software from Plan Book: $8.40 per staff member
The joint resolution by the Logan County Commission and Logan County Board of Education regarding the Veterans Park on Middleburg Island will be discussed.
The WeCan program will request the use of two Logan Co. buses and drivers to transport children to Wyoming County Youth Camp August 1 and return August 3. Lottie Pack and Jonathan Ramey will request permission to travel with gifted students to Baltimore, Md., July 31- August 2, flying private coach.
Workers’ Compensation for 2015 will also be discussed and brought before the Board. With Hartford, Wells Fargo Agency, cost will be $575,546.
At this time, the Board is looking for parent volunteers for Summer Achievement Camp and 21st Century STEM Camp in the locations of Omar Elementary, Man Elementary, Man Middle, Buffalo Elementary, Logan Elementary, Logan High and Chapmanville Middle.
The Oath of Office will also be administered to new and returning board members Mark McGrew, Deborah Mendez and Dr. Pat J. White during the meeting.
Any citizen desiring to address the board must register to speak 15 minutes prior to the meeting. At this meeting, registration must take place before 5:45 p.m. Individuals will be allotted five minutes.