In today's world, I believe it is a fair question to ask. We see evidence of some mothers who would not make the "Good mothers" list. So I would like to list some of the attributes I would place in an Good mother.
1. Mothers are those rare creatures that have a bundle of emotions, that to the rest of us, defy reason. The way that mothers look at events emotionally is something else.
2. Mothers can go without sleep, it seems, for days when their children are sick. They rock them, and hold them in their arms, constantly saying those all too familiar words, "It's OK sweetie, Mommy's here."
3. Mothers are those persons who can read the same bedtime story over and over, night after night...'just one more time'.
4. Mothers are those pillars of patience who teach their children how to tie their shoes even before they started to school.
5. Mothers are those individuals who cannot keep the tears from flowing when they hold their babies for the very first time in their arms, and for the mothers who gave birth to babies they'll never see.
6. Mothers are good taxi drivers who find the time to run their children to all their games and events.
7. Mothers can make a Halloween costume out of nothing and bake the best cookies ever at the same time.
8. Mothers have a "loud" voice that everyone can hear at times, even Dad ... especially if you ask for ice cream before supper.
9. Mothers can definitely defy all odds just to attend and watch their children perform and repeat to themselves "That's my child!!!!"
10. Mothers have hearts that ache over simple but important things like for an example: watching her son or daughter disappear down the street to catch the bus or to visit a friend alone for the very first time.
11. Mothers will automatic turn their heads when they hear the word "Mom", even though they know that their kids are nowhere around.
12. Mother is the person that teaches her children about the love of God and how to say our prayers at meals and at night.
13. Mothers are those secret warriors that shed tears and pray for their children who have gone astray.
14. Mothers who work often show up with milk stains on their blouse and diapers in their handbags.
On this Mother's Day, why don't you make a list of what makes a good mother ... or better yet.. .why not tell her today how great she is!
For on this special day, we honor mothers both young and old, working mothers, stay at home moms, married mothers and the single mothers, those with income and those with out ... we celebrate MOTHERS for without them our lives would have been insufferable.
Have a great Mother's Day ... especially all mothers! God bless.
Dr. Charles M. Wood, II is an accomplished instructor of psychology and religion at Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College. He is a Christian counselor in Logan — serving, ministering, and donating his time to people from all denominations.
If you would like to contact Dr. Wood, please write: The Logan Banner, c/o The Good Life With Dr. Wood, P.O. Box 720, Logan, WV 25601; or call (304) 752-4658. All letters addressed to Dr. Wood will be forwarded to his office.